Saturday, March 2, 2013

Anyone Else Stoked for Stoker?



I admit that I am not very familiar with director Park Chan-wook's filmography (I know, shame on me), but I am really excited for his Engligh-language film debut.  It sucks that Stoker is only opening in limited release this weekend, so who knows when I will get a chance to see it.

I think the trailer gives away too much (or maybe my imagination runs too wildly), so I feel like I know what's going to happen to some of the characters.  Mia Wasikowska plays India Stoker, a teen mourning the death of her father (Dermot Mulroney), and she becomes wary of the behavior of her hellish mother, Evelyn (Nicole Kidman).  When India's uncle Charlie (Matthew Goode) shows up, both India and Evelyn are drawn to him.  Well, he's Matthew Goode.  If you aren't drawn to him one way or the other, something is wrong with you.  Watch the trailer below.


The imagery in this movie looks gorgeous and moody.  Something always seems to be lurking just beneath the surface.  It makes me anxious, and I love it. 


Titanic this ain't

Can this family get more attractive?  Maybe they are all trying to kill each other to make sure they are the hottest one in the room.  I love when Nicole Kidman is brittle and crazy.  Brittle, crazy and gorgeous. 

"Are you guys done voting up there?  Am I getting a Supporting Actress nomination?"

I am also pretty jazzed to see Jacki Weaver consistently getting work, even if it is another supporting role.  I don't understand why she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Silver Linings Playbook, but I love her all the same.  


When I started researching the movie, I found out that Prison Break star Wentworth Miller wrote the screenplay.  I never watched the show, but I do remember him from his brief stint on producer Ryan Murphy's brief stint of a show on the WB, Popular.  Miller played a conniving male cheerleader (seriously) who tried manipulating his way to the head of the cheerleading squad (seriously).  




So let me see if I can straighten this all out.  The hot guy from Prison Break (who looks like a poor man's Channing Tatum, my movie husband) wrote a screenplay about a messed up family, and it is being stylishly directed by the guy who directed Oldboy AND it stars Satine Nicole Kidman?  

There.  





No comments:

Post a Comment